Regular guttering cleaning and maintenance is an essential part of home owning that you definitely shouldn’t ignore or neglect—or you’ll find yourself on the losing end of poorly maintained gutters, which could result in a hefty repair fee and plenty of mess. Thankfully, keeping your gutters cleaned isn’t very difficult as long as you follow the essential tips that will keep your gutters Dallas or anywhere in top shape. The following are 3 essential gutter cleaning tips that you definitely shouldn’t ignore.
Tip: Familiarize yourself with ladder safety
Ladder safety is no joke, although it is sadly one of the most overlooked parts of regular gutter cleaning and maintenance. Some of the most important ladder safety factors to keep in mind are
- Always inspect your ladder for any loose parts, damage, or other issues before climbing. If you can fix these issues, do so; if no, save your gutter cleaning for another day.
- Choose a sturdy, safe ladder such a fiberglass or aluminum ladder; ideally, these ladders should have four legs for maximum stability.
- Always tell someone that you’re heading up on a ladder before you climb, and if possible ask them to do a safety check on you (either in person or by calling your phone) in case of accidents
Tip: Use a plastic gutter scoop
A gutter scoop is your ideal tool when it comes to cleaning out gutters because they are designed to scoop out leaves and other debris, even heavy debris, with a reasonably minimal amount of effort. When compared to other tools like brooms or sticks, plastic gutter scoops let you spend a lot less time scooping out your gutters Dallas—and they leave you less fatigued in the end as well.
Never use a metal scoop for your gutters because the metal can actually damage your gutters, causing them to build up rust.
Tip: Wear appropriate safety gear
You might think that you’re just scooping out leaves, but what’s in your gutters can include animal droppings, mold, and other debris blown in by the wind. You might even find yourself scooping out animal bodies or live animals such as birds, rats, or even wasps and bees! And since you’re on a ladder or on the roof itself, you won’t be able to run away fast. That is why you should always wear appropriate safety gear.
Basic safety gear for cleaning gutters Dallas includes:
- Thick suede gloves which will help protect you from jagged metal edges, as well as from bacteria that may be lurking in the debris
- Professional safety goggles to prevent debris from getting into your eyes; this can also help protect your eyes in cases where you may be dealing with live animals who react to your cleaning
- If possible, wear long sleeved shirts and pants that are tucked into your gloves and boots to help protect you in cases where you may deal with wasps, bees or other animals that could attack you while you are cleaning out your gutters Dallas.