Indian paintings have good style and variety. Indian paintings are also very colorful. More often than not, they depict Indian culture. These paintings are classified as “miniature” category of paintings. In this category, drawings and paintings, both, are done either on paper or on cloth. Considering the various styles and varieties, contemporary Indian paintings can be classified into seven types:
- Rajasthani paintings
- Madhubani paintings
- Tanjore paintings
- Mughal paintings
- Bengal style of art
- Patta chitra and
- Warli art
Seven paintings styles of India
The different styles of Indian paintings are depicted below. Each of them has their own peculiarity in that they are made by using contemporary dress material online.
- Rajasthani paintings, which are also known as Rajput paintings, originated in the 18th They originated in Rajasthan. These paintings depict Hindu mythological themes from the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. They also talk of Lord Krishna and about different Rajasthani war heroes. These paintings are found on the walls of fortresses and inner chambers of the royal court.
- Madhubani paintings are also better known as Mithila paintings. They originated in Bihar, India. They were first started in a village called Madhubani. They get their name from the village. These paintings came into being when Raja Janak asked his painters to paint the moments of the marriage ceremony of Lord Rama with his daughter Sita.
- Tanjore paintings originated from Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu. They originated in the 16th These paintings are known for their contemporary style, rich look, compact opus and flamboyant color range. Tanjore paintings are widely popular as home décor items on account of their versatility and flamboyance. These are artworks of typically Southern religious style.
- Mughal paintings are an amalgamation of Indian, Persian and Islamic art styles. As their name suggests, these paintings originated during the time of the Mughal Empire i.e. between the 16th and the 19th They depicted battles, receptions, court scenes and hunting scenes. Some of them also showed legendary stories, portraits, wildlife, etc.
- Bengal style of art is commonly called as the Bengal school of paintings. It is a special style of Indian painting that started from Bengal. It is also known as a powerful art movement. It primarily involves Shantiniketan and Kolkata and is spread throughout India. It talks about the British Raj in the early 20th
- Pattachitra is a special type of Indian painting that comes from the state of Orissa. An art form originated in the eastern region of India. These paintings are painted on a cloth base and therefore they get their name Pattachitra meaning “vastra” or “clothing” and “chitra”. In Indian history, such pattachitras are found in plenty.
- Warli art is a 400-year-old painting style that originated in Warli village in Thane district. These paintings do not have any specific angle or proportion. They are simple paintings, which show the excessive use of triangular shapes. Married women normally paint these paintings. They talk excessively about the cycle of birth and death.
Thus, the different types of Indian paintings are seen above. Each of these has their own distinct style and it speaks about the history of the region from which they originated. If you are entrepreneurial in nature, you will immediately see the opportunity to sell handmade paintings online.